chicken quinoa tabbouleh
February 14, 2018
This recipe for chicken quinoa tabbouleh is a huge crowd pleaser. I got the idea by combining two of my favorite Ina Garten recipes: Chicken Tabbouleh and Quinoa Tabbouleh with Feta. Quinoa is a healthy and palatable substitute for those who don’t enjoy bulgur wheat. The addition of chicken makes it substantial enough to be served as a main course.
This was a hit at the Valentine’s Card Crafting Party. I think it’s important to always have something guilt free to serve guests. People are more knowledgable about nutrition than ever and they appreciate a healthy option. Chicken quinoa tabbouleh fits the bill perfectly because it is void of any processed ingredients and sugars. It consists solely of healthy fat, lean protein, whole grains and produce.
Even better, it can be made the day before. It’s only gets more delicious once the ingredients have had a chance to marry.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup quinoa
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts (5 scallions)
- I cup chopped fresh mint leaves (2 bunches)
- I cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded and medium diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved through the stem
- 1 whole (2 split) chicken breast, bone in, skin on
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub it with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa and 1 tsp of salt, lower the heat, and simmer covered for 15 minutes, until the grains are tender and open (they’ll have little curly tails). Drain, place in a bowl, and immediately add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Remove the chicken meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into medium dice and add to the quinoa. Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, and tomatoes. Season to taste and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. The flavors will improve as it sits.