green goddess dressing
May 21, 2018
This green goddess dressing is completely addictive! The recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, It’s All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen. On several occasions, I’ve watched a room full of women devour an entire veggie platter because they couldn’t get enough.
The beauty of green goddess dressing is that it’s creamy with just the right amount of natural sweetness, which makes it perfect for vegetables, pita, sandwiches, and just about anything else you can dream up. Green goddess dressing is also very healthy. The Omega-3’s found in the avocado, olive oil, and Vegenaise are great for your skin. The blast of lemon juice is a great source of vitamin C and the herbs are powerful antioxidants.
Don’t be afraid to tweak it to your own tastes. I leave out the cilantro and it’s just as good. Sometimes, I can’t find a sprig of tarragon so I end up leaving that out, too. It’s still just as good.
It keeps in a jar in the refrigerator for a week, but it won’t last that long!
By the way, if you aren’t up to making a fresh batch, Trader Joe’s makes an excellent version without any weird ingredients.
Makes 1 1/4 cups
- 10 large basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves from about 5 sprigs)
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (leaves from about 5 sprigs)
- Leaves from 1 sprig of tarragon
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or xylitol
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a powerful blender and blitz until completely pureed. Keeps well in a jar for up to a week.